Layered Taco Salad
- 1/2 lb. 95% lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1/2 cup picante sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 Roma or plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (green and white parts)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 ounces crumbled nacho-flavored baked tortilla chips (about 28 chips)
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Coat skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add beef; cook and stir. Remove from heat. Stir in chili powder and 1 teaspoon cumin. Place on plate or sheet of foil in thin layer to cool quickly.
Combine picante sauce, sugar, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin in small bowl.
To assemble, place lettuce in a llx7-inch casserole dish. Layer remaining ingredients in following order: beef, tomatoes, green onions, cilantro and crumbled chips. Spoon sour cream evenly with cheese. Spoon picante mixture evenly on top.
TIP: To avoid large clumps of beef, break up by hand before spreading it evenly in the pan.
Nutrients Per Serving: Calories 258, Total fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 46 mg, Protein 21 g, Carbohydrate 25 g, Dietary fiber 5 g, Sodium 555 mg
Download printable version.
<< Back to Recipe List.