National Study Finds Good Samaritan Hospital In The Top 10% Of The Nation For Cardiology Services
Good Samaritan Hospital Receives Awards in Cardiology Services and Pulmonary Care from Healthgrades
Dayton, OH (October 23, 2012) – – Good Samaritan Hospital received the Pulmonary Care Excellence award and was rated among the top 10% in the nation for its cardiology services today, according to a new report from Healthgrades, the leading provider of information to help consumers make an informed decision about a physician or hospital. The report, American Hospital Quality Outcomes 2013: Healthgrades Report to the Nation, evaluates how approximately 4,500 hospitals nationwide performed on risk-adjusted mortality and complication rates for nearly 30 of the most common conditions treated and procedures performed from 2009 through 2011.
In its study published today, Healthgrades found that patients have a 75% lower risk of dying when treated at a hospital receiving 5 stars than if they were treated at a hospital receiving 1 star, based on risk-adjusted mortality rates across 18 common procedures and diagnoses, such as heart bypass surgery, stroke, and pneumonia. Healthgrades also found that 235,378 lives could potentially have been saved during 2009-2011 if all hospitals performed at a 5-star level.
Other notable Good Samaritan Hospital Healthgrades recognitions include:
- Ranked Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Cardiology Services in 2013
- Ranked #10 in OH for Overall Cardiac Services in 2013
- Ranked #8 in OH for Cardiology Services in 2013
- Ranked Among the Top 10 in OH for Overall Cardiac Services in 2013 (Ranked 10 in 2013)
- Ranked Among the Top 10 in OH for Cardiology Services for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013) (Ranked 8 in 2013)
- Five-Star Recipient for Cardiology Services for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
- Five-Star Recipient for Coronary Interventional Procedures in 2013
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Attack for 4 Years in a Row (2010-2013)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Failure for 5 Years in a Row (2009-2013)
- Recipient of the HealthGrades Pulmonary Care Excellence Award™ in 2013
- Ranked Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Pulmonary Services in 2013
- Five-Star Recipient for Overall Pulmonary Services in 2013
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pneumonia for 9 Years in a Row (2005-2013)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Sepsis for 7 Years in a Row (2007-2013)
“Good Samaritan Hospital puts the patient first. Our medical teams focus on the patient and providing high-quality, compassionate care. Our commitment to clinical excellence is woven into every aspect of our operation. The Dayton area can feel confident that 5-star care is available right at home at Good Sam,” said Eloise Broner, president and CEO of Good Samaritan Hospital.
For its 2013 hospital quality outcomes analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 40 million Medicare hospitalization records for services performed at short-term, acute care hospitals nationwide.
Healthgrades independently measures hospitals based on data that hospitals submit to the federal government. No hospital can opt in or out of being measured, and no hospital pays to be measured. Healthgrades risk adjusts for patient demographic characteristics and clinical risk factors, thereby taking into account how sick patients were before they were admitted to the hospital.
More information on the American Hospital Quality Outcomes 2013: Healthgrades Report to the Nation, including the complete methodology, can be found at www.healthgrades.com/quality .
Content Updated: November 18, 2014
Good Samaritan Hospital does not have any control over the content of third-party websites and neither endorses nor accepts any responsibility for the content, products, and services on or sold on these websites. The
symbol indicates a third-party website.